Discovering Ubuntu


Recently someone in the office asked, "Hey, how does one install Ubuntu?". I was like Ubuntu, nah never used it. Then later I went on to check the Ubuntu website (www.Ubuntu.com) and noticed that they have 3 other versions of the base operating system which is based on Linux namely -

Ubuntu - "Ubuntu is a community developed, Linux-based operating system that is perfect for laptops, desktops and servers. It contains all the applications you need - a web browser, presentation, document and spreadsheet software, instant messaging and much more."
Kubuntu - "Kubuntu is a user friendly operating system based on KDE, the K Desktop Environment."
Edubuntu - "The Edubuntu Linux distribution brings the spirit of Ubuntu to schools, through its customized school environment. The current version of Edubuntu is aimed at classroom use, and future versions of Edubuntu will expand to other educational usage, such as university use."
Xubuntu - "Xubuntu is a complete GNU/Linux based operating system with an Ubuntu base."

I went through the site and was really excited to use Ubuntu and wanted to find out the difference in using different Linux based operating systems. The only other linux based OS that I had used was Red Hat Linux. I was really happy to find that they are shipping CDs of the Ubuntu OS absolutely free of charge. I ordered Ubuntu 7.04, for my 64-bit machine. I was not really sure if these guys would send the CD all the way to India. But to my surprise I did get the CD after 4-5 weeks at my doorstep all the way from Netherlands.

I loaded the disk in the system and the coolest feature that I found was the Live CD. Live CD means you can run the Operating System without installing it on your hard drive. All one needs to do is load the CD in the CD ROM and it will ask you if you want to "Start" or "Install" the operating system. Select "Start" and you are logged on to the new OS. There are several advantages if you can run an OS as a Live CD. There can be situations when you will need your favorite software to perform those daily tasks. You can just carry this CD and you don't need to worry whether the PC that you will be working on has a office application, graphics application, etc. because they are al loaded in the Ubuntu CD.

Once I logged on I thought it would be really difficult to get the broadband internet working on the OS. Rest assured that my internet service provider wouldn't have any idea how to configure the internet on Ubuntu I did not even try to ask him. But it was not very difficult getting the connection up and running within 5 minutes. I just followed the detailed steps mentioned on the Ubuntu help website, where configuring different types of connections have been given.

Ubuntu is now like a new born baby on my machine who has the company of Windows. Hope they both don't fight with each other ;)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Big Chill in Goa

Your search for music ends here... Google as a P2P tool.

What does freedom mean to you?