What does freedom mean to you?

15th August is not too far .. Independence from British rule. Does that mean we have the freedom of speech, freedom to express, freedom to live our life the way we want it? Well my thoughts differ on this. Though our constitution does allow us to enjoy the freedom are we really free? To me freedom means -

ability to work in the field I have always desired
ability to see places which I always wanted to see
ability to pursue my dreams

But the truth is I cannot pursue each and every thing I desire. Not because of any personal limitation but to some extent I would say that there is always an X factor dominating your life. Imagine you wanted to go on a holiday 1000s of miles away, but still you will have to persuade your parents to allow you to go. You will have to convince them that you really really want to go. Imagine you do not want to get married early but still time after time you will have to reply to those questions about marriage. There are 1000 people to answer too when you are living in an Indian society. Your neighbor also would be keeping their ears open on what you are doing, let alone your parents.

So the next time you think we all are free, think twice, are you really free?

Comments

  1. For me, freedom means freedom to make my decisions and stick to them:)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Big Chill in Goa

Your search for music ends here... Google as a P2P tool.